Sunday, January 6, 2013

Football Freebie and My Plan for Next Week

I've ceased to pay attention to football since I have zero chance at winning any money in my Fantasy Football pool.  However, I do know that Super Bowl season is upon us and our kidlets love nothing more than talking about sports.  Here's a football freebie for you if you need an extra math warm up or a ready-to-go homework assignment.
I go back to school tomorrow (for teacher meetings and work time) and get back to work with the kiddos on Tuesday.  Although I spent most of the break online shopping and being sick, I think some of the ideas from blog stalking have stayed with me.  Here's a few things I plan to use during that first week back.

In reading we're going to continue our reading response notebooks.  During every 5 day week students are required to write a letter to me which gives a short summary of a book they're reading, as well as at least 1 piece of deeper thinking they had as they read the text.  I have gone from hand writing to typing my letters.  It's a lot of work to keep up with, but I think it's worth it.  Writing about reading is a goal for 99% of my students and this seems to really motivate them to write, since they know I'll be reading it and writing back.  Their #1 question when I told them I was leaving for my grandpa's funeral? "But . . . when will we get our reading response notebooks back?!"  :)
 Grammatical Name Art: I would do Word Clouds, but I already did these after Thanksgiving break, so we're going to talk about all the exciting things we did throughout the break through nouns, verbs, and adjectives.  

Division Review: Thanks to Tonya's Treats for Teachers I now have a division review ready to go
We're going to talk about informational writing.  I'm excited to use these two TpT products to help introduce the genre.
Text Features Pack: Posters & Activities for Informational Text
By Gina Coniglio - Click the picture to go to her store
By Jeannie Hunter - Click the pic to go to her store


  1. I found you from a post on Facebook by Fern and I'm glad I did. I'm going to do your Grammatical Name Art Activity tomorrow. Thanks!

    Surfing to Success

  2. Stick on circle due date...brilliant! My kids can never remember when to turn in their journals! Thank you!

    Chickadee Jubilee

  3. I love the reading journals. I always wanted to try. Good idea to put the day labels on them!


    Using My Teacher Voice

  4. I want to thank you for the Super Bowl assignment. I think it will be great as a homework challenge for my third graders this week! Thanks again!

  5. I did reading response journals last year when I was in 3rd grade. It is definitely A LOT of work, but I saw the difference in my kiddos writing and their thinking about reading. Their questions were outstanding and by the end of it each of my students and I had our own little relationship within the journals. It was such a rewarding experience--- The labels are an awesome idea... if I ever get back to 3rd (I'm in 1st now) I'll definitely be doing that!

    Have a great day tomorrow planning!!! I'm jealous!

    Closing the Gap... in a Cute Outfit

  6. The Super Bowl Challenge is exactly what I need for my higher level learners in my 3rd grade class. Thanks so much!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...